Stay in Australia for 5 years. Live, work, and study in a designated regional area of Australia. Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is legitimate. Be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency, or an eligible relative must sponsor you. Have an occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list. Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation. Be invited to apply. Satisfy the points test.
The Department of Home Affairs has announced the new Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) subclass 491 visa. The 491 visa is a replacement for the Skilled Regional (Provisional) subclass 489 visa. General Skilled Migration
The 491 Visa started on 16 November 2019. A new permanent visa pathway – Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) subclass 191 visa – will come into effect from November 2022.
Like the existing 489 visas, applicants must be nominated by a State or Territory government or sponsored by an eligible family member living in regional Australia. Applicants will need to meet the minimum points score to apply; however, more points will become available from 16 November 2019. You can read about the changes to the points test here. You must also meet the character and health requirements. General Skilled Migration
The State or Territory nomination requirements are likely to remain similar to those currently in place for the subclass 489 visa. Each State and Territory set their own nomination criterion. This can vary from evidencing your employability, previous time spent living in the state, or meeting a financial capacity. Having spent time living and working in the nominating state – for example, whilst on a working holiday visa or employee sponsorship – can make your application more attractive. Also, having family and friends living in the state you are looking to migrate may enhance your eligibility. General Skilled Migration
- It would be best if you were aged under 45 to be invited to apply for the visa.
- You can still apply for the visa if you turn 45 after we invite you to apply.
- If you turn 45 after you submit your EOI but before we invite you to apply, you will not receive an invite.
- Have a suitable skills assessment
- Be able to score 65 points or more.
- Your occupation must be on the combined list of eligible skilled occupations for a Skilled Regional (subclass 491) visa.
- Meet the Health Requirement
- Meet the character Requirement
New South Wales
Need an offer of employment at least 12 months in the designated regional area OR 5 years minimum job experience in the job nomination OR family in a designated regional area.
Have an occupation on the QSOL offshore list. Have a minimum 2-year work experience.
Job occupation must be in the state nominated occupations. If it is in the supplementary skilled list, it will have additional requirements. Graduates of South Australian universities have an added advantage.
Either must have studied in Tasmania, have family in Tasmania, or have a job offer from Tasmania. If not, just a few jobs under category 3a (without a job offer) are open.
Processing Timeline & fee
There are no standard processing times available for this pathway From AUD4,045.
How to get 191 (Permanent Residency)
- Hold an eligible visa.
- Have lived for at least 3 years and have a taxable income at or above a specific income threshold for at least three years.
- Both primary and secondary applicants have complied with the eligible visa conditions you hold or have held. General Skilled Migration
Point Test Sheet
Required Qualiﬁcation Points
- For Diploma: 10 points
- For Degree/MBA:15 points
- For Ph.D.: 20 points
Required English Ability (IELTS) points
- For 6 Band – 0 points
- For 7 Band – 10 points
- For 8 Band – 20 points
Required Age points
- For 40-44 age people: 15 points
- For 18-24,33-39 age people : 25 points
- For 25-32 age people: 30 points
Required Australian Work Experience points
Maximum 20 Points for Work Experience General Skilled Migration
- For 1 year:5 point
- For 3 years:10 points
- For 5 years: 15 points
- For 7 years: 20 points
Required Overseas Work Experience points
- For 3 years: 5 points
- For 5 years: 10 points
- For 8 years: 15 points
For Australian Qualiﬁcations (2 years study), 5 points
- Masters Or Ph.D. under Specialist Education Fields in Australia (Research Include) (Special Condition).
- Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics Qualification included.
Other 10 points for this
- For Designated Language – 5 points
- For Professional Year In Australia – 5 points
- For Studying& Living Regional Australia – 5 points
- For a Spouse with competent English: 5 points
- For the spouse with competent English, skill assessment:10 points
- For single or spouse is PR or citizen: 10 points.
Sponsored by an eligible PR/Citizen (15pt)
- For State/Territory Nomination (491) :15 points
- For State/Territory Nomination (190) :15 points