December 14, 2020

Canada Signs New Youth Mobility Agreement With Italy

More Italians and Canadians are now qualified to take a working holiday visa in every other country.

Canada and Italy have extended their already existing youth mobility agreement, which will permit more individuals to go on longer working holidays between the two countries.

Canada’s immigration minister, Marco Mendicino, and Italy’s minister of foreign affairs, Luigi Di Maio, signed the new bilateral agreement on December 11.

Italians and Canadians between ages 18 and 35 will now have the option to job and travel in each other’s countries for up to 12 months. They can also give an application to expand their work permits for another year, and have the option to live in each other’s country for a total of up to 24 months.

Youth will also have the option to gain professional work experience through the International Co-operation, and Young Professionals programs. 

The International Experience Canada (IEC) Program permits youngsters to get  international  work  experience. Even Though the Covid pandemic has resulted in travel limitations around the globe, this agreement  with Italy will open up new chances for future work and travel once limitations are lifted. For now, just youth with current and legitimate employment offers can go to Canada under the IEC Program.

Canada and Italy have been youth mobility partners since 2006.This new agreement will be executed after confirmation in Canada and in Italy. 

“I’m extremely satisfied that we had the option to agree with Italy, which will provide both Canadian and Italian youth with even more chances to live, travel and job abroad once it is protected to do as such,” Mendicino said in a media release. “We live in an rapidly interconnected globe where innovation frequently comes from the individuals who have travelled widely, who have an appreciation  for different cultures, and whose eyes have been opened to new plans, insights and methods of doing things.”

More than 1.5 million individuals in Canada are of Italian descent, one of the biggest Italian group in the globe outside of Italy. 

Since 2008, over 200,000 Canadians have participated  in the IEC program.

International Experience Canada

Canada has youth mobility agreements with 36 other countries. By reciprocal bilateral agreements,  young adults can travel and job in these countries. Canadians can job in these countries, and vice versa for citizens of other participating countries can also do work.

There are three classes under the IEC: 

  • Working Holiday visas, where individuals get open work permits that permit them to work for any manager in the host country;
  • International Co-operation members, who get manager particular work permits that permit students to to obtain experience with their field of study; and 
  • Youthful Professionals, who also gain an manager-particular work permit to gain targeted, professional work experience that is within their career path.
Quick Assessment
close slider